ABOUT CHICAS EN TECNOLOGÍA:
We are an Argentine non-profit civil society organization that, since its inception in 2015, seeks to reduce the gender gap in the technology sector. With our programs and initiatives we motivate, train and accompany the next generation of female leaders in technology. We work so that young women may see technology as an ally to fulfill different purposes and impact their realities and communities.
Our programs and initiatives are based on four pillars: Technology, Education, Leadership and Entrepreneurship, all seen from a gender perspective. We mave our own methodology, which aims at being responsive to current and local needs. For that, we articulate concepts and methodologies from Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics with social impact. We have an entrepreneurial culture that allows us to measure the impact of our initiatives and continuously improve. Therefore, we work with a comprehensive and systemic approach in the implementation of our programmes include various actors from the entrepreneurial/technological ecosystem. All those involved generate a virtuous circle that adds value to the co-construction of a strategic path, bringing greater diversity and vision to each of our programs, while transforming them into agents of change.
WHY ARE WE LOOKING TO REDUCE THE GENDER GAP?
- Only 6% of the apps we use were developed by women (Equals, 2018);
- In Argentina, only 16% of women are engaged in programming-related careers (Survey Women Programmers , 2017);
- From the 1.6M job openings in to the technology sector available in 2020, only 25% will be filled (Digital Agenda for the European Union);
- Only 10% of women entrepreneurs carry out technology/software development-related projects (Entrepreneurs Observatory of the City of Buenos Aires);
- Companies with 3 or more women on the board of directors are 16% more profitable (Catalyst, 2013);
- Diverse teams are faster, and up to 87% more efficient in solving daily problems (Cloverpop 2017).
To make significant progress on this imbalance, it is necessary that more women become interested in the technology sector from an early age, not only as users, but as creators, professionals and entrepreneurs. On September 25, 2015 , the date that coincides with our creation, UN member-states, along with citizens and CSOs adopted a set of 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) , each Goal has specific targets to be achieved by 2030. From Chicas en Tecnología, we currently work in 7 of the SDGs: Quality Education, Gender Equality, Decent Work and Economic growth, Industry, Innovation and Infrastructure, Reduced Inequalities, Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions, and Partnerships for the Goals. In addition, we seek to multiply proposals that generate impact solutions throughout Argentina and the region .